Resident’s Guide to the City of Côte Saint-Luc Bylaws

The purpose of the Resident’s Guide to the City of Côte Saint-Luc Bylaws is to provide a summary or extracts of common bylaws.

Please note that this Resident’s Guide is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an interpretation of city bylaws. Only the actual text of the bylaw is authoritative and these bylaws are available at the City Hall Archives.


Parking rules are set by Côte Saint-Luc bylaws and the Quebec Highway Safety Code. To avoid a fine, please read parking signs carefully before parking your vehicle. Here are some examples where you cannot park a vehicle:

  • On any street overnight between 3 am and 6 am
  • Where signs prohibit you from parking at all times
  • Where temporary signs prohibit you to do so for operations such as street cleaning or snow removal
  • In an emergency lane
  • In a handicap zone when unauthorized to do so

You cannot park a trailer or truck anywhere in Côte Saint-Luc except for loading or unloading purposes. In addition to the Côte Saint-Luc bylaws, the Quebec Highway Safety Code states you may not:

  • Park on your driveway while leaving a portion of your vehicle encroaching on city property such as the sidewalk
  • Block access to a public or private driveway
  • Leave you vehicle unattended with its doors unlocked
  • Park less than five meters from a fire hydrant
  • Park more than 30 cm (about one foot) from the curb of a sidewalk
  • Leave a child under age seven unattended in a vehicle

Garbage collection

Pickup times:
Garbage collection hours are between 7 am and 7 pm on collection days. Garbage receptacles may be placed outside for collection no more than three (3) hours before 7 am.

Placement of garbage bins and bags
Receptacles must be placed at curbside in front of the premises and as close as possible to the sidewalk but not directly on the sidewalk or street.

The metal or plastic receptacle with a maximum capacity of 100 liters must not exceed 25 kilograms in weight and must be tightly covered. The metal or plastic receptacle with a maximum capacity of up to 360 liters must not exceed a maximum weight of 135 kilograms when full, must be equipped with wheels, a lid and bracket allowing the receptacle to be picked up by the mechanical arm on the collection vehicle. All containers must be filled no higher than its sides. Plastic bags that are a maximum of 80 liters and must not exceed the maximum weight of 25 kilograms when full, must be sealed and filled no higher than its sides.

Items on the street or sidewalk

You cannot place objects on the street or on the public sidewalk without the permission of Côte Saint-Luc. This includes objects such as basketball nets and hockey nets.

Handouts / Home distribution of flyers

You cannot distribute circulars, advertisements, leaflets or other printed matters on the sidewalks, streets, lanes, or elsewhere than in a mail box of a private home or of a multiple dwellings building, nor can this activity take place between 9 pm and 7 am.


You cannot make loud noises such as excessively honking your horn, blaring loud music or using any other sound reproduction device to do so.


You are not allowed to be in a city park past 11 pm where signs prohibit you to you from being there.


The Quebec Tobacco Act prohibits you from smoking within a nine-meter (about 30 feet) radius of a premises used for community or recreational activities.

Bicycle and skating helmets

When riding a bicycle, or skating using in-line skates or roller blades, on any street, sidewalk, lane or any public place in Côte Saint-Luc, people of all ages must wear an approved helmet.

Street vendors

All street vendors require a license from the municipality prior to carrying out their tasks.

Raising / feeding animals

  • You cannot keep live farm animals or fowl on your land.
  • You cannot feed pigeons, squirrels and other wild animals or poultry.


All dog owners must ensure that their dog has an annual license, payable on the first day of May each year. The annual license fee for each dog that is neutered or spayed is $20. The annual license fee for each dog that is not neutered or spayed is $30.

The owner of a dog has to show proof that the dog was vaccinated against rabies before the owner can be issued an annual dog license.

Public places
All dogs must be kept on a leash throughout the year when in a public place. Dogs are not allowed in public parks and playgrounds, with the exception of Aaron Hart Park along David Lewis St., Harold Greenspon Park on Borden Ave., the green space between Marc Chagall Ave. and the parking lot of the Bernard Lang Civic Centre, the green space on Baily Rd. between Northluc and Cavendish, the green space on Baily Rd. between Lyndale and Glencrest, and a section of Kirwan Park between Blossom and Wentworth. The custodian of a dog must clean up every public or private ground soiled by feces of a dog. Dogs are not allowed on private grounds expect with the consent of the owner.


All outdoor cat owners or keepers must ensure that their cat has an annual licence payable on the first day of July each year. The annual licence fee for each outdoor cat that is spayed or neutered and which bears a microchip or a tattoo is $10.00, for an outdoor cat that is spayed or neutered, but does not bear a microchip or tattoo is $15.00 and for an outdoor cat that is that is not spayed or neutered as a result of a medical exemption (a cat that is 10 years or older or has a medical exemption from the veterinarian attesting to the fact that the cat cannot be spayed or neutered) is $20.00. Should the cat identification tag be lost or destroyed, the person to whom it has been issued shall present the receipt for payment and pay a $5.00 dollar fee for a replacement cat identification tag.

Cat Identification Tag
The owner or keeper of an outdoor cat must show proof that the outdoor cat has been spayed or neutered and provide the information required to process the registration of a cat, including, but not limited to, the name and address of the owner, the breed, gender, colour, name of the outdoor cat and the microchip or tattoo number if the outdoor cat is so identified in order to be issued a cat identification tag.

Abandoned Cats
No owner or keeper of a cat shall abandon a cat under any circumstances.

Watering your lawn

You can water your lawn with portable sprinklers between 6 pm and 11 pm every day. If you have an in-ground sprinkler system, you can water your lawn between 1 am and 7 am. Watering with either type of system is limited to 45 minutes per day.

If you use a handheld hose, you can water your lawn at any time.

Source: By-law 2397 (2012)

Use of barbecues in Côte Saint-Luc

In order to protect the safety of residents, the City of Côte Saint-Luc has placed limits on the use of open-flame barbecues, such as propane barbecues, charcoal barbecues, etc.

The following will help you determine if you can use an open-flame barbecue at your residence.

Apartment and condominium rules
Before even reviewing the city rules about the use of open-flame barbecues, you should first learn if your condominium association or landlord allows the use of barbecues on balconies or ground floor area. If it is prohibited by the association or owner, then you cannot use an open-flame barbecue, irrespective of the by-laws of Côte Saint-Luc.

Type of balcony
Assuming that there are no prohibitions by your condominium association or apartment building owner, then you should familiarize yourself with Côte Saint-Luc by-laws. By-law 852 amending By-law 626 concerning fire prevention states that the use of a portable open-flame device, such as a barbecue apparatus—which includes a hibachi-type table-top grill fired by charcoal—must be used on a balcony that has a support, floor, wall or any part thereof that is fully fireproof. In general, this means that the balcony must be made of concrete as opposed to wood. However, the only way to determine whether your balcony is fully fireproof is to ask the Montreal fire department to inspect it. You can contact the fire department at 514-280-0868.

Distance between gas cylinder and building opening
Assuming that the fire department says that your balcony is fully fireproof, you must also have a balcony large enough to satisfy the rules governing the storage of gas cylinders, such as propane tanks.

The distance between the building opening and the cylinder containing gas is governed by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), which enacted the Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code and the Propane Storage and Handling Code. These distances, which are incorporated by reference in Côte Saint-Luc By-law 2279, vary and are based upon various factors. These distances only apply to barbecues fuelled by gas.

For example, the Propane Storage and Handling Code states: a cylinder shall be installed outside a building, with the discharge from the cylinder relief valve not less than:

  1. 3 feet (1 metre) on a horizontal plane from any building opening when the opening is below the level of the relief valve discharge;
  2. 10 feet (3 metres) on a horizontal plane from the air intake of any appliance or air-moving equipment; and
  3. 10 feet (3 metres) on a horizontal plane from any source of ignition.

Note: Although these codes regulate gas barbecues and not barbecues fueled by charcoal, Montreal fire inspector Jean-François Duclos recommends that residents read carefully and rigorously apply the recommended distances listed in their charcoal barbecue user manual.

Assuming that your building allows barbecues, that you have a fully fireproof balcony, and one that is large enough to permit the distances required between the gas cylinder and the building opening, then you can to use your open-flame barbecue—assuming you are not causing a nuisance to your neighbour.

By-law 107 concerning nuisance (i.e., smoke) applies to all barbecues. Just like loud music, smoke from a barbecue could be a nuisance to your neighbours.

Private swimming pools

The building inspector (or representative) must have free access to inspect the maintenance and operation of a swimming pool at all times.

Swimming pools must have a rope of an easily visible color to separate the deep end from the shallow end.

Swimming pools must be surrounded by a fence, or other solid structure, not less than six feet high and the elements of the fence must not be separated by a space wider than four inches. The door to the fenced off area around a swimming pool must have a self-closing and self-locking device that is capable of keeping the door securely closed. This locking device should be located out of the reach of children.

Semi-private and public swimming pools

The Quebec Public Buildings Safety Act requires public swimming pools and semi-private ones—such as the ones in multi-family dwellings—to be equipped with the following:

  • An electrically insulated or non-conducting reaching pole at least 3.6 meters (about 12 feet) long
  • Two safety buoys that can be either a ring type or a torpedo type
  • A spine board designed for a person who has suffered spinal injury
  • A first aid kit
  • A blanket

In addition, semi-private and public swimming pools must have the following:

  • Safety rules posted in English and French
  • A rope of an easily visible color to separate the deep end from the shallow end (public pools only)
  • A portable oxygen tank with a pocket mask within accessibility of the pool area, which must be verified to be in good working order by a qualified technician at periodic intervals
  • A phone within the swimming pool area for use only to call for help in case of emergencies, and instructions on how to call for help
  • A breakable glass container (with an attachable device to break open the glass) containing a key to an interior door giving access to the pool area

Construction hours

You may not carry out any works in connection with the construction, re-construction, alteration or repairing of any building or structure, at any place in the city, between 9 pm and 9 am on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays, or between 9 pm and 7 am on all other days, unless you have permission from the city granted under special circumstances.

You must obtain a permit for the following (non-exhaustive) list of items:

  • Fences
  • Swimming pools
  • Construction of a new balcony
  • Construction/re-doing of a driveway
  • Renovations/general modifications
  • New windows
  • New façade
  • Roof

The application for these permits should be submitted approximately one week before the work is to start. Once the work is started, it must be completed within three months—however, if it is not completed within three months, you can apply for a new permit. If are unsure whether you need a permit call City Hall at 514-485-6800.

Messy property

The owner of land, whether built or not, may not allow branches, bushes and long weeds to grow thereon, or to leave scrap iron, rubbish, refuse, paper or empty bottles or materials or any objects that might be a hazard to health and safety.

Dangerous items

You cannot tolerate on your land, shallow areas gathering stagnant water, open ditches, large boulders, mounds of earth or any conditions that may cause directly or indirectly bodily harm to any person or persons.