Sidney James Allen was born in 1891 in England. He came to Montreal in 1910, at the age of 19, settling down in the village of Côte Saint-Luc. He got married to Edith Annie Cowsill in 1916 at the Baptist Temple in Montreal. A florist by profession, he lived with his parents, wife and his son, Sydney Allen Jr., at 807-809 Hudson (today 5615 and 5619 Hudson). His mother and father, Horace Allen and Emily Charge, were at 809 (5619) and Sidney James and his wife were at 807 (5615). The old house they lived in, built in 1924, still stands today.
Sydney Allen was appointed municipal councillor in Côte Saint-Luc in 1939. He was put in charge of the department of parks and playgrounds. He stayed on council until 1941 and was elected again in 1943.
The Allen family ran a Greenhouse (see map) located at the corner of Hudson and the CPR railway tracks, right near their home. It was operated by Sidney Allen himself.
Mr. Allen passed away on in 1987 at the age of 96 and was buried in the Mount-Royal Cemetery.
August Heinrich Andrea was born on December 22, 1888 in Haarlem, Holland. He came to Canada on the Virginian on May 7 1910, when he was 22. In 1912, he went back to get married (Date of marriage: August 22, 1912). His wife Hendrika arrived with him to Montreal on Oct. 13 aboard the Tunisian.
August Hendrick Andrea and his family, moving from St Joseph Boulevard, came to live in Côte Saint-Luc in 1914. He was listed as living at 19 CSL Road. He had three daughters: Ethel, Nellie, and Henrietta as well as a son, August. 19 CSL became 1223 CSL Road around 1922 (which then became 6923 when the number of the streets was changed in 1938). One of the reasons the numbers were changed is that CSL wanted to mirror the numbers on Sherbrooke Street. When Westbourne was opened in the early 50s, the address finally became 5514 Westbourne.
Mr. Andrea was a construction superintendent for Ryan Construction. He was elected City Councillor for the Town of Côte Saint-Luc in 1951 and 1952. When he was defeated in 1953, he was given the position of Building Inspector as he was a carpenter by trade. August Andrea passed away on December 31, 1955. Andrea avenue was dedicated to him in 1954. The street disappeared soon after, around 1960, as an apartment building was built over it.
Mr. Andrea built two houses for his daughters: one on Westbourne and one on Elgin just behind. 5518 Westbourne was where Nellie Gohier née Andrea lived (1953). She was married to Yvon Gohier. 5517 Elgin was the house of Ethel Andrea Simpson, who was married to George Simpson. In 1952, the houses that were built on Elgin were known as the 12 5s, because they were being sold for $12,500. For $200 extra you could purchase one with a garage. In 1984, the Andrea house at 5514 Westbourne was torn down by the new owner who sold the lots on each side.
Pearl Estelle Bierbrier (maiden name Clavier) was born on March 13, 1930. She was raised near Clark St. in Montreal. Her mother was Anna Blumenthal. She married Solomon Bierbrier, a notary and Councillor of the City of Côte Saint-Luc (Councillor from 1965-1969). She had two children Ira and Michael.
Pearl Bierbrier attended Baron Byng High School on Saint-Urbain St. In 1965, she received her Master’s Degree in Nursing at McGill University, being the first of the Jewish faith to earn this Master’s degree, which is considered the highest nursing degree in Canada. She had previously obtained her R.N. at St. Mary’s Hospital and her B.A. at Sir George William’s University. She also obtained her diploma in teaching at McGill University.
Pearl Bierbrier lived on Palmer Avenue in Côte Saint-Luc. She was active in community involvement, as a research assistant working with youth at the Allan Memorial Institute, as a worker with Côte Saint-Luc’s first drop-in center, as an executive member of Wagar High School’s PTA, and as a consultant on ageing for Loyola’s Health Education Department. She ran a series of lectures at the Snowdon campus of Vanier College, dealing with “Human Relations for Adults”. She was a member of the Beth Zion Synagogue and Sisterhood.
In 1974, Pearl Bierbrier announced her intention to run for council for Seat 1, becoming the second woman (along with Hazel Lipes, her competitor) to run for council in the City of Côte Saint-Luc. Her campaign, with her slogan “I care for the community,” vouched for a place for teens to meet and a chance for residents to take part in community activities. She stressed for better organization in the recreation department, as well as opportunities of individual recreation. She wanted community members to be made aware of educational opportunities near the city, such as Vanier’s Snowdon Campus.
She promised to maintain the present tax level, maintain high standards in city development, improve services and recreation facilities for all age groups, and to be available to all residents of CSL. She argued for no conflict of interests, and that she cares about people, was well versed in political scene, and can devote her full time to city business. While she was endorsed by Edward Kirwan, the former councillor of Seat 1 who voluntarily relinquished his seat, she lost the elections to Hazel Lipes, coming in second in number of votes.
After the death of Bill Kesler in September 1979, she was finally elected councilor by acclamation. Her campaign was based on pursuing provincial and federal grants for the benefit of CSL, establishing better communication between City Council and the community, active participation with all age groups, improving recreation standards, and launching emergency paramedical services. She remained on council for the next 6 years until 1985.
She passed away on March 27, 2009, at the age of 79 and was buried in Jerusalem.
Solomon Bierbrier was born in 1930. He received an undergraduate degree from Sir George Williams University (now Concordia University) and a graduate degree from McGill University. He was called to the bar in 1956. Solomon Bierbrier is on the board of Maclos Capital, Inc. and Principal at Bierbrier & Cooper Notaries. He previously held the position of Member of the Chambre Des Notaires Du Québec and Secretary of Gondwana Gold, Inc. He and his wife, Pearl Bierbrier lived on Palmer Avenue in Côte Saint-Luc.
On May 12, 1965, he declared himself a candidate for the council elections, because he “believe[d] that what is needed at council is someone to deal and cope with the existing problems and those which will arise day by day with firmness, directness, and with decisive action” (Suburban). He ran for seat 6 and defeated Frank Chadillon. He got elected at the same time when Bernard Lang became mayor. Solomon Bierbrier remained on council from 1965-1969.
During his time as a Councillor, he was in favor of a community council similar to Westmount and Hampstead. He was instrumental in obtaining the use of Centennial Park to serve the recreational needs of residents in the area. He promoted the development and construction of both Baily and Earle Parks for CSL children, as well as the redevelopment of Westminster, Merton and Fyon Parks. He passed a tax moratorium for additions and improvements to local homes and petitioned the provincial government to give CSL a larger share of sales tax dollars.
Mitchell Brownstein is currently the 12th mayor of Côte Saint-Luc. He has served as mayor since March 11, 2016. He was first elected to City Council in November 1990. He represents district 7 and is responsible for Parks and Recreation.
Mitchell Brownstein, managing partner, was admitted to practice in Quebec in 1988. He received his Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Civil Law and Bachelor of Common Law from McGill University in Montreal. He also attended Université de Montréal as a visiting law student for one year. A significant portion of Mr. Brownstein’s practice is devoted to advice on United States and Canadian Immigration, Citizenship matters and Business Law.
Mr. Brownstein was a City Councilor for the City of Côte Saint-Luc, first elected in 1990. He is also actively involved in fundraising for charitable organizations and has received the Linda Barker Memorial Award for outstanding campaign worker at Federation C.J.A. He has also been actively involved in supporting the multicultural communities in Montreal and in Federal politics as President of the Young Liberals of Canada for the riding of Mount Royal. Mr. Brownstein has given seminars on immigrating to Canada in many countries around the world.
Mitchell Brownstein was selected as a Young Entrepreneur delegate on the Team Canada Mission to the Philippines in January of 1997. In May of 1997, he was invited by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce to provide a seminar on “Legal Issues Surrounding Access to Asia Pacific Markets” at the APEC Exhibition and Seminars. In 1997, he was inducted into the International Who’s Who of Professionals. In September 1998, Mr. Brownstein was a speaker at the Entrepreneur Mondial conference in Ottawa, Ontario. In November 1998, he was a participant on the Canada-China Business Council’s 20th Anniversary Assembly in Beijing, China in the presence of Canada’s Prime Minister Jean Chretien and the Premier of China, Zhu Rongji. In June 1999 he was a speaker at the International Bar Association Conference of Lawyers from around the world in Boston, U.S.A. Mr. Brownstein is a member of the Lord Reading Law Society, The American Immigration Lawyers Association, and is licensed to practice law by the Barreau du Quebec.
For more information on Mayor Brownstein, visit:
Born and raised in Côte Saint-Luc, Mike Cohen has a long record of involvement in the community as a participant in municipal programming, a volunteer, a journalist and a consultant for city and borough hall. He attended elementary and high school in Côte Saint-Luc and was elected as the City Councillor for District 2 on November 6, 2005, taking 92 percent of the vote compared to his competitor. He was elected by acclamation for a second term in the fall of 2009 and for a third term in the fall of 2013. On November 5, 2017 he ran for a fourth term and took 81 percent of the vote.
As an involved resident of Côte Saint-Luc, he spent many years coordinating events for the city and advising municipal staff and elected officials on media relations. He served two terms on the Community Leisure Council, which advised city council on matters related to recreation and culture programs. Twice, he was presented with the Volunteer of the Year Award in the communications category.
Mike coached and officiated in the local baseball, hockey and soccer programs, served on different city committees and continues even today to speak with community and senior citizen groups. During the 11 years he spent as the national director of communications and Israel Affairs for Canadian Jewish Congress (1988 to 1999), he travelled across Canada, the United States, Europe and to Israel. In addition, he has worked very closely with Holocaust survivors. He also played an active role in the community as a volunteer for the Federation of Jewish Community Services (Federation CJA), ProMontreal, Jewish National Fund and as a founder of the Association of Young Jewish Adults. Today he serves as the vice-chair of the annual Cummings Jewish Centre for Seniors Foundation Sports Celebrity Breakfast.
Since February 1999 Mike has been the communications and marketing specialist for the English Montreal School Board, Quebec’s largest English language public board, where he serves as the official spokesperson, oversees the website and handles all matters related to press relations, advertising, marketing and promotions. He is a graduate of the Concordia University Communications and Journalism Program. While in CEGEP and university he worked full-time for the now defunct Sunday Express Newspaper. He also serves as media consultant to several large companies, including Delmar International, Union Lighting & Decor and JCorp, as well as on a volunteer basis Congregation Tifereth Beth David Jerusalem in Côte Saint-Luc.
As a journalist, Mike contributes columns, features and travel advice to several publications, such as the Suburban Newspaper, the Montrealer, The Jewish Standard Magazine, The Montreal Jewish Magazine, founder and editor of Inspirations, Sandboxworld.com, Canadian World Traveller, MtlRestoRap
Mike has been the city councillor for District 2 in the City of Côte Saint-Luc, a thriving community of 32,000 citizens on the island of Montreal, since 2005. District 2 encompasses Merrimac, Rembrandt, Kildare (between Rembrandt and the East Side towards Kellert), Sir Walter Scott, Ilan Ramon, Marc Chagall, Mackle (between Cavendish and Brandeis), Quartier Cavendish, Park Place, Jubilee Cavendish (Manoir Montefiore, Manoir Camelia, L’Excelsior) and Honoré-de-Balzac.
On city council, Mike is the Councillor responsible for Library and Culture, Animal Protection and Sponsorship.
For more information on Mike Cohen, visit:
Aubrey Edgar Davies was born in 1909 in Wales, England. He arrived to Canada on April 25 1928, aboard the Antonia, when he was 19 years of age. He came with his brother, Ernest George Davies (born 1911 in Wales), their parents, Harriet Ann Jenkins Davies and Aubrey Edward Davies, and their sisters.
He lived at 8083 CSL Road and shared the house with his brother (at 8081). This house was built in 1946. Edgar Davies and his brother ran a grocery store called Davies’ Bros on 58 Westminster in Montreal-West, which was where everyone from the village of Côte Saint-Luc used to shop, as there were no stores in CSL.
Aubrey Edgar Davies was a Councillor in CSL from 1949-1952, presiding over seat 5. He was in charge of the health committee and was a butcher by profession. On July 21, 1954, the City of Côte Saint-Luc named Davies Avenue (previously Fletcher Avenue) after Edgar Davies in homage to his hard work.
Edgar Davies passed away on June 15, 1981, at the age of 71-72 and was buried at the Mount Royal Cemetery.
Francois-Xavier Décarie was a farmer who settled on lands in the village of Côte Saint-Luc. He is a direct descendant of Jean Décarie, who established himself in Montreal in 1650. The Décarie family has long been associated with early farming in Montreal. They went on to become extremely successful landowners and farmers, several acquiring land across the width of the island. They were particularly known for their melons which were exported all across Canada.
Francois-Xavier Décarie was born on July 23, 1858 in Côte Saint-Luc, in the parish of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. He is of the 7th generation of Décarie living in Montreal. His father was Benjamin Décarie, a farmer and City Councillor in NDG in the late 1850s-60s, and his mother Catherine Laurent. He received his education at Collège de St-Laurent. He began his career as a market gardener at the age of 18, and excelled in his occupation until the age of 54, when he retired. An enlightened and devoted citizen, he has always been interested in the public cause. Thriving in Côte Saint-Luc, he became commissioner of schools in 1897, president of the school board in 1908, village Councilor from July 1903 to January 1909 and finally the Mayor of Côte Saint-Luc in January 1909. (Archives de la Ville de Montreal, P136-S1-D006). Francois-Xavier Décarie was Mayor from January 9, 1909 to May 6, 1912. He was the 3rd mayor of Côte Saint-Luc and a member of its first City Council.
In February 1881, he married Mathilda Trudeau, from Saint-Hubert, who passed away. In October 1897, he married Lucy Decary, daughter of Benjamin Decary of Dorval. He had two kids from his first marriage, Mary C. Décarie and Francois B. Décarie. Marie C. Décarie was the wife of Anatole Décarie, inspector of the income tax department of Montreal. Francois B. Décarie owned the firm Campell-Decarie Ltd. The Décarie farm was located in the eastern part of Côte Saint-Luc, but Francois-Xavier Décarie lived at 873 Chemin de la Côte St-Antoine, in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.
Some of his accomplishments include: church warden of the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce Church in 1915 during the restoration of the church and the inauguration of the organs; benefactor of the monastery of Précieux-Sang, of the Hospital of the Incurables and the University of Montréal; member and president of the society of St-Jean-Baptiste; honorary member of the choir of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (Archives de la Ville de Montreal, P136-S1-D006).
Francois-Xavier Décarie passed away on December 16, 1931 at the age of 74 in his residence at 5455 Côte Saint-Antoine Road. His funeral was held in the Parish of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.
At the time of his death, the Montreal Daily Star wrote: “A remarkable man in many ways. He exercised a wonderful influence as old warden of NDG. He was prosperous, but shared his prosperity. […] A patriarchal gentleman. It was something to him the very joy of living. And it was his aim at all time to make people happy. He lived for just that. And his many activities brought him many friends with whom it was a real pleasure to meet, even in the hour of his death” (Archives de la Ville de Montreal, P136-S1-D006).
Educator and local activist Steven Erdelyi was re-elected as a City Councillor of Côte Saint-Luc District Four by acclamation during the electoral period of October 2013. In the previous municipal elections on November 1st, 2009 he was re-elected with 94% of the vote. This set the stage for Steven Erdelyi to continue to work on improvements to District 4 and Côte Saint-Luc as a whole.
Since 2013, Steven Erdelyi has worked as Principal, then Head of School of Solomon Schechter Academy after serving as Principal of Hampstead School and Vice-Principal of Westmount High School. Previously, he was the head of the Science Department at Marymount Academy where he taught Math and Science for six years. He has served Quebec’s English-speaking community for many years through his positions as a member of Alliance Quebec’s provincial Board of Directors and Vice-President of the Alliance Quebec Youth Commission. Erdelyi also worked as a Project Coordinator for Alliance Quebec, where he successfully lobbied for improved services in English for Montreal-area residents.
Erdelyi, who worked very closely with former mayor and current MP Anthony Housefather, Mayor Mitchell Brownstein and Councillors Glenn J. Nashen, and Ruth Kovac, played an integral role on the Côte Saint-Luc Demerger Committee. During the demerger campaign, he focused much of his efforts on District Four.
Erdelyi is also known for co-founding MATCH-LQ, a political action group seeking to encourage young people to stay in Quebec. During his days at McGill University, he was an active representative on the Student Council where he initiated a Library Improvement Fund that has raised over $10 million. In the past, he has co-chaired a fundraising committee at the Saidye Bronfman Centre for the Arts and was a member of the Young Leadership Israel Advocacy Initiative.
Erdelyi served a two-year term on the board of La Symbiose, a non-profit group aiming to help new immigrants to the area adapt to life in Canada. He was a member of the board of the Montreal Jewish Hereditary Disease Fund, whose aim is to raise awareness and promote screening of common genetic diseases. He was a member of the board of the Quebec-Israel Committee, and then served on the board of the organization’s successor the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs – Quebec.
Erdelyi is a graduate of Queen’s University with a B.Ed. and McGill University with a B.Sc. in Biochemistry. He completed a post-graduate degree in Educational Leadership at McGill University and is working on an additional degree in the same field. He is fluent in English, French and Hebrew and partly fluent in Japanese. In 2007, he and his wife, Randi Berman, welcomed the birth of their son, Matthew Harry Erdelyi, and in 2009, the birth of their daughter, Bailey Leah Erdelyi.
For more information on Steven Erdelyi, visit:
Born in 1873 in Dunvegan, Ontario, Donald Fletcher came to Quebec at a young age and lived in Côte Saint-Luc for almost half his life. He was living at 241 Wolseley Avenue, in Montreal West, from around 1915 to 1922. In 1922, he moved to 804 Wolseley Avenue in Côte Saint-Luc (which became 5618 Wolseley in the 1950s). The house he lived in was built in 1914. Apparently, there was a beautiful rose garden next door tended by Mrs. Fletcher.
He was one of the pioneer residents of the Parish of Côte Saint-Luc and watched the community grow into a full-fledged city. He served as Alderman for 10 years, from 1929 – 1939, and was elected Mayor in 1939 until 1951. An engineer by profession, Mayor Fletcher had a keen interest in building by-laws and the inspection of buildings. He helped draft a plan whereby single-family homes and industrial areas in the municipality are kept apart. His constant encouragement to builders and zoning restrictions evoked the interest in one-family dwellings and created the subsequent growth of the City. He served as member of the advisory committee to the Mayor of the time, J. Adalbert Paris, which was formed in 1953 and remained as a member until 1958.
Mr. Fletcher was an elder of Montreal West United Church and served as its treasurer for 20 years. He passed away in 1962, at 88 years of age. He left behind his wife, Alice Smith (Agnes) Miller and two daughters, Grace and Jean Fletcher.
Sam Goldbloom was Councillor for the City of Côte Saint-Luc (District 1) from 2009-2017. During his first term in office, he held the portfolios of traffic, seniors & Canadian legion. From 2009 to 2013, he oversaw library and culture while co-chairing the Golf Classic, Volunteer Appreciation Night, Maisons Fleuries, Wine Tasting and Canada Day.
Sam Goldbloom helped save the Emergency Medical Services (EMS), which were in danger of losing, and is now entrenched as a permanent service for all Côte Saint-Luc residents. He helped regain the right to manage arterial roads—Cavendish Blvd. and Côte Saint-Luc Rd., to tax at the local level, and to run the city like a successful business offering our residents superior services at the lowest cost, while not neglecting the quality of life component.
He helped negotiate an agreement with Montreal to repave Macdonald Ave (half Montreal & half Côte Saint-Luc) between Dupuis and Queen Mary. He expanded traffic calming measures to maximize road safety on Tommy Douglas and David Lewis streets. He ensured that the Volunteers on Patrol who serve as the eyes & ears of Public Safety and police Force increase their patrols in District 1. He chaired the Annual Seniors Golf tournament and our Joseph Milo benefit concert in aid of the cat committee which provides humane rescue of homeless cats by trapping, neutering and either releasing them, or providing loving homes for them. He is a member of the Planning Advisory Committee which reviews building and renovation requests for permits.
In previous mandates he was responsible for the portfolios of Traffic, Seniors, the local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion and our award-winning Library which is open 7 days a week, 365 days a year. He has also co-chaired Canada Day, Maison Fleury, and Volunteer day events. He supported the critically acclaimed Côte Saint-Luc Dramatic Society and has been a featured performer in 5 productions.
For more information on Sam Goldbloom, visit:
Harold Greenspon was born in 1937 in Ottawa, Ontario. His family moved to Montreal when he was two years of age. At the age of 12, his father passed away unexpectedly. His older brother Mort, 16, quit school to run the family business. Harold would eventually get a part-time job at Steinberg’s Grocery Store to contribute to his family.
Greenspon began his studies at McGill University, getting a Bachelor of Commerce in 1958 and becoming a Chartered Accountant two years later, with the second highest mark in all of Quebec. Soon after, he accepted an opportunity to lecture at McGill, and he did so for the next 45 years. He earned the Lieutenant Governor’s silver medal and was a partner in a public accounting firm for 14 years. He was a hockey coach in CSL and organized the Sports Celebrity Breakfast under the auspices of the Cummings Centre for Jewish Seniors, of which he had become vice-president. He married Malvina Niederhoffer and had two children, Donna and Neil.
After Councilor Irving Singerman passed away in March 1975, Harold Greenspon ran for councillor to take his seat (seat 3) against Mary Goodman. He was elected on May 19, 1975 at the age of 37. In his election campaign, he stressed the importance of his people, of recreation and parks, and of open council meetings (as prescribed by the law, section 349 of the Cities and Towns Act). As such, he aimed to bring city hall to citizens for greater participation, improve recreation and parks, and enlist citizen’s involvement in community affairs. He strove for quick response times to citizen inquiries, assured residential quality of CSL, coupled with sensible planning and traffic patterns.
He can be trusted for a professional budget scrutiny, negotiating for better results, having sensible spending priorities, and assuring full value for dollars spent (Monitor, April 23, 1975). Harold Greenspon became acting mayor after Samuel Moskovitch passed away on May 26, 1976. In 2009, he received the Socio-Cultural Award, which recognizes a volunteer for exceptional contribution to the Parks and Recreation socio-cultural programs.
Harold Greenspon passed away on Thursday, March 30, 2017, having suffered from Parkinson’s Disease. At his funeral, the current Mayor of CSL, Mitchel Brownstein, called him the “Dean of the council” and would often turn to him for advice as a young councillor. Today, the auditorium in Cote Saint-Luc City Hall is named after him, as well as a city park.
Eric Sydney Helfield was born on March 11, 1931 in Montreal, Quebec. He is a graduate of the Jewish People’s Schools and Strathcona Academy. He earned a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Common Law from McGill University, becoming a corporate and trial attorney in the province. He was a resident of Côte Saint-Luc from 1958 until his death. He married Tilya Gallay and was the father of three daughters, Marie Helfield (Neil Finkelstein), Dr. Gillian Helfield (Eric Klein), and Dr. Randa Helfield (Dr. Scott Sebastien), as well as a son, Dr. James Helfield.
Eric Helfield was an active member of the Citizen’s Committee, organized to promote the building of the Côte Saint-Luc arena. He was Chairman of the Côte Saint-Luc Recreation Committee, on which he had sat for four years. He is a past president of Côte Saint-Luc Lodge Bnai Brith and a member of St. George’s Mason Lodge. He was an active amateur in sports, played hockey and basketball, and pitched for the YMHs Senior and Junior Men’s baseball clubs in the Atwater League. He was a past president of Little League Baseball in CSL, as well as a legal adviser to the CSL Slo Pitch Association.
Eric Helfield was elected Councillor in 1976, presiding on seat 5, when Bernard Lang became Mayor (following the sudden passing of Samuel Moskovitch). Notably, Helfield was known for his sponsorship of the first Anti-Smoking By-Law in Côte Saint-Luc. In April 1985, Councillor Helfield said that his by-law, “will result in cleaner air to breathe, will enhance our community and will invite young families to move among our midst.” He also advocated greater access to parks and playgrounds, more bicycle and jogging paths, recreational use of school facilities, greater emphasis on teaching sport skills, and greater family participation in sports.
He was the Founding Director and former Legal Adviser of the Côte Saint-Luc Community Swimming Pool. He was also the Founding Director of Côte Saint-Luc Recreation Association. He became an active supporter of Côte Saint-Luc senior citizens. In the 1980s, he was influential in the proposal of the joint building plan of the Library and City Hall Complex. He was the municipal council liaison with the Community Leisure Council and the city’s Emergency Measures Organization. He remained on city council until 1989.
Eric Helfield passed away on October 3, 2002 at the age of 71. Eric Helfield park was later dedicated to him.
Ronald Edward Hindle was born on June 27, 1922 in Montreal, Quebec. His mother was Elsie Hindle and his father was Thomas Hindle. He had two siblings: Wilfred and Albert. He moved to Côte Saint-Luc in 1954, and devoted most of his free time to his community. He lived on 164 Wolseley Avenue and is listed as being a sales manager (1968).
Ron Hindle was elected to council in 1954. Chairman of the Wentworth Homeowner’s Association, he helped establish Wentworth Park, and worked on its enlargement and the installment of a football field. He was constantly active on behalf of the children’s baseball, football and hockey, which is why he became head of the Civic Recreation Committee. He was responsible for the fine police and fire departments, served as Finance Chairman, and has been recognized as an outstanding authority on Civic and Financial matters. Finally, Hindle pressed the development of the Cavendish Area.
His wife, Joyce Hindle, was also active in Community and Church activities and they are proud parents of three fine sons (Westward news, April 23, 1964).
Ron Hindle resigned his seat (seat 3) in 1964 due to business pressure and was replaced by Irving Singerman. He passed away on April 2, 1985 at the age of 62.
Anthony Housefather was born in Montreal, coming from a Jewish family. He attended Herzliah High School, and is fluent in Hebrew. He earned two law degrees (B.C.L. and LL.B.) from McGill University, and an MBA from Concordia University’s John Molson School of Business.
On November 7, 2005, Anthony Housefather was elected Mayor of the reconstituted City of Côte Saint-Luc, winning election with 75% of the vote while former Mayor Bernard Lang received 14% of the vote, and a third opponent receiving 10% of the vote.
Housefather was a very popular and well-respected Mayor, and was re-elected by acclamation to a second term as Mayor of Côte-Saint-Luc on October 2, 2009, in advance of a November 1, 2009 vote. He was acclaimed again on October 4, 2013, in advance of a November 4, 2013 vote.
As Mayor, Housefather was very involved in provincial as well as local issues. He led the fight by bilingual municipalities against the Parti Quebecois’ government’s Bill 14, which amongst other things would have deprived many Quebec municipalities of bilingual status. He drafted and presented a brief with Town of Mount Royal Mayor Philippe Roy at the National Assembly of Quebec on Bill 14 on March 11, 2013.
He also held a rally at Côte Saint-Luc City Hall for religious tolerance, and led in the opposition to the PQ’s Charter of Values which sought to bar any employee from wearing religious gear in schools, hospitals, municipalities and provincial government. Both of these bills were dropped.
During the years when Côte Saint-Luc was in Montreal, a collective agreement was signed by the mega-city giving firefighters a monopoly on first response, which put Côte Saint-Luc’s much valued Emergency Measures Service at risk of disappearing. With the help of D’Arcy-McGee MNA Lawrence Bergman, Housefather was able to convince the Quebec Government to add a provision to Bill 22 to allow Côte Saint-Luc to operate its first-responder service permanently. Housefather also was able to work with other mayors to save a local police station and to convince the Agglomeration of Montreal to adopt a resolution allocating $44 million for the Cavendish extension. He also worked with Councilor Dida Berku and environmental groups to help preserve the Meadowbrook Golf Course as a green space.
At a local level, Housefather and his council were viewed as one of the most innovative councils in Quebec. Côte Saint-Luc built an $18 million Aquatic and Community Centre on time and under budget, and developed one of Montreal’s leading aquatics programs. Under the Housefather administration, Côte Saint-Luc was the first city on the island of Montreal to launch a composting program for all single-family homes, the first to launch a food policy, and launched a farmer’s market and community gardens. The median age of residents of the City of Côte Saint-Luc fell by seven years over Housefather’s tenure as Mayor, as the community expanded high-quality programs for children and young adults and sponsored townhouses and other housing favorable to young families.
William E. Kesler was born in 1916 in Montreal, Quebec. As a high school student, he took up work as an office boy in the law office of former mayor Samuel Moscovitch, where he received a good deal of his unofficial law training. Many years later, he and Sam Moscovitch ran on the same reform ticket for city council of Cote Saint-Luc and after many years of service both died in office.
Kesler had a distinguished war record, serving in both the Sicilian and Italian campaigns with the Royal Canadian Engineers. He was severely wounded attempting to clear a minefield when a mine exploded. His comrades assisting in the operation were all killed (Monitor, Wednesday September 5, 1979).
He married Ethel Leikin and had three sons: Ivan, Ricky, Stephen, as well as a daughter-in-law Lily.
In the 1950s, he assumed the distributorship of Maico Hearing Aids in Quebec and built up close connections with hospitals and learning institutions for the deaf, throughout Canada and the United States (Suburban, September 5, 1979).
In 1962, Sophie Wollock, former publisher of the Suburban, who had uncovered a land-deal scandal, called a public meeting at Westminster School, inviting all residents of CSL who were interested in the future of their city. Although the Keslers has other things planned that evening, Bill decided to go to the meeting. There he expressed his feelings on the importance of citizen participation and involvement in the community in which they live. He was immediately asked to become secretary of the Ratepayers Association (Suburban, September 5, 1979). In 1963, as a charter member of the Ratepayers Association, Kesler came to public attention when he opposed a land transaction whereby land for the Wagar High School was bought and sold 24h later at an astronomical increase in price (Monitor Wednesday September 5, 1979).
Later, several people called and asked if he would run for council. This was a genuine case of a man responding to public pressure to run for office. He campaigned vigorously and was successful obtaining seat 4 in 1963, which he held until his death (Suburban, September 5, 1979). His campaign was based on the implementation of any measures to improve efficiency and tax savings to ratepayers. He was instrumental in having the city create its own tax assessment department and a system of inventory control of all parts being bought by the city for its garage. He also urged the appointment of a city manager in accordance with the wishes of taxpayers. He was also an outspoken advocate against spot rezoning.
“Bill was adamant in his belief that an elected official is responsible to his electors. Generous, without fanfare with his own money, he watched the city budget like a proverbial hawk. He was not afraid of initiating action or taking an unpopular stand if he felt that it was in the best interests of his community to do so.” A passionate federalist, Kesler strongly opposed Bill 22 and Bill 101 (The Monitor, Wednesday September 5, 1979).
The Monitor calls him “one of the most controversial politicians in the history of the municipality”. He is said to have been the bane of developers, having no patience with them when he would be presented with their plans. Kesler never turned away in the face of controversy, as was the case when he opposed the building of the Cavendish underpass. Many felt that if you wanted to get something done, Bill Kesler would be the one to call. In fact, his constituents would constantly call him for advice on municipal matters. He was even known to venture out in snow storms and emergencies (Monitor, Wednesday September 5, 1979).
Bill Kesler passed away on Sunday, September 2, 1979 at the Royal Victoria Hospital, following a lengthy illness at 63 years of age. Today, the William E. Kesler Memorial Trophy recognizes a volunteer for their exceptional contribution to the Côte Saint-Luc Parks and Recreation special events programs.
Edward J. Kirwan was born in Montreal in 1893. He received his primary and secondary education at Collège Notre-Dame, being acquainted with Maurice Duplessis, the former premier of Quebec. He settled down in Côte Saint-Luc in 1923 with his wife Micky on Wolseley avenue. He built the home at 80. They had a son, Jerry. He began his career working in a bank. From there he moved to secretary, and then to superintendent in the Montreal Water Works. After WWI, he organized his own trucking business (Montreal Star, April 25, 1968). He started with one truck, but the business started to grow rapidly until in 1959 he had 18 trucks and a staff of 28.
He was first elected to city council in 1923 and served the city for over 40 years, watching it grow from a rural village to a thriving municipality. He is known to have been one of the more reputable councillors of the city and is often referred to as one of the “founding fathers” of Côte Saint-Luc (Suburban, December 23, 1980). He served on Council from 1923-1938, 1944-1955, and 1959-1974. One of the reasons he was asked to be an alderman was that he was bilingual. From its origins in 1903, all city council business was done in French. The mayor and the aldermen at the time were French farmers, who spoke little to no English. If a question was asked at a council meeting in English, it could not be understood, let alone answered. Ed Kirwan was educated in French at College Notre Dame. Alderman Cousineau, Prud’homme, Dion and Lemieux all said “Nous avons besoin d’un tit gar comme Ed.”. He became the first alderman who was completely at home in both languages.
He and Gerard Cloutier founded the Côte Saint-Luc Police Force during the early 1930s. Mayors he served under include Pierre Lemieux, Fred Lamont, Don Fletcher, Jack Fyon, Adalbert Paris and finally Samuel Moskovitch. According to Mayor Bernard Lang, who spoke at Mr. Kirwan’s funeral ceremony, he had worked hard for the city’s parks and recreation department, being known as “Mr. Recreation.” He was extremely involved in fostering sports by sponsoring teams within the community. He and his Wife Mickey and son Jerry would participate in all events in Côte Saint-Luc.
As a young man, Kirwan excelled in hockey, baseball, speed-skating, and horseback riding. He pitched for the Old Cecil Hart Stars, a semi-pro baseball team. His reputation as a southpaw came early in life, and his home was filled with trophies and mementoes won in competition. Responsible for recreation within the city, he often sponsored and paid for baseball and hockey teams in city leagues. He sponsored The Golden Boys in slo-pitch, Yankees in the Little League and bought sweaters for Pee-Wee, Mosquito, and Bantam hockey teams. Any softball team that needed equipment would call on “Mr. Ed”, as he was known in those days. The ladies slo-pitch group also depended on Ed for sweaters and gloves. In 1963, Cote Saint-Luc was the first Canadian slow-pitch team to enter a world tournament and the team was sponsored by Ed Kirwan. He is also responsible for the construction of 12 skating rinks across CSL. In the winter, Mr. Kirwan helped his team of blue collars clear the rinks so that the children would have somewhere to play. His son, Jerry, mentions that his pleasure was always to see young people using the facilities for sports, instead of “hanging out” in street corners or parks.
Kirwan passed away in 1980, at the age of 88. Kirwan Park, previously Wentworth Park, which is the oldest park in Côte Saint-Luc, was renamed after him in 1976. The park has 3 baseball diamonds, 2 basketball courts, a picnic area and jogging paths, and is the city’s oldest major hub for organized sports. Kirwan road is also named after the late councillor. Today, the Edward J. Kirwan Award honours the Volunteer of the Year for exceptional contribution to the community’s parks and recreation programs.
Frederick David Lamont was born in 1893 at the Stanley Street Presbyterian Church in Montreal. He married Edith Norval May Mcenzies in 1928 at the same church. Throughout his life, Lamont worked as a secretary and treasurer for various mining companies, as well as being manager for investment firms.
From 1929 to 1937, he was City Councilor in Côte Saint-Luc under the leadership of Mayor Pierre Lemieux. He served as chairman of the finance committee. He got elected as Mayor in 1938, for a one year period. He resigned on March 7, 1939 and was followed by Mayor Donald Fletcher.
Throughout his career in Côte Saint-Luc, Fred Lamont lived in the duplex at 719 and 721 Hudson Avenue (current address 5509-5511), which was built in 1925. He lived here with his wife, mother, and sister.
In 1930, he was the manager of the Canadian Stockholders Investment Corporation. In 1937, he became secretary and treasurer of a mining company called Inspiration Mining and Development. In 1938, while he was Mayor, he became department manager for Nesbitt Thomson & Co., a former stock brokerage firm. In 1941, he was the secretary and treasurer of Parron Gold mines. In 1945, he became secretary for the City and District of Montreal, occupying that position until the 1950s. Between 1947 and 1948, he is also listed as the secretary of Côte Saint-Luc.
Lamont passed away in 1969, at the age of 76, in Pinellas, Florida.
Bernard Lang was born in 1925 and was educated in Montreal. He earned two degrees in Engineering from McGill University. During the Second World War, he interrupted his education to serve in the Canadian Army, in Canada and in Europe. After graduation, he joined Rolls Royce of Canada where he reached the position of Chief Service Engineer. Subsequently, Lang operated his own company in the field of air conditioning and energy conservation.
He came to Côte Saint-Luc in 1955 with his wife Miriam. He became the Founder and President of the Côte Saint-Luc Community Swimming Pool Association, a non-profit organization serving over 500 Côte Saint-Luc families. It was the successful completion of a community swimming pool, in 1962, under Lang’s presidency that prompted a number of Côte Saint-Luc residents to persuade him to seek election as City Councilor in May of 1963. He was elected by acclamation in six consecutive elections, serving a total of 13 years until in 1976, he was elected Mayor of Côte Saint-Luc, receiving 2481 votes against his only opposition, Horace Friedman, who polled 1944.
In addition to his position on the City Council, he has held numerous positions of leadership in a broad spectrum of organizations and activities, which include Camp B’nai Brith, the Jewish General Hospital, State of Israel Bonds, Allied Jewish Community Services, Canadian Jewish Congress, the Montefiore Club and is a Past President of the Beth Zion Congregation and Maimonides Hospital. In 1968, he was awarded the Israel Freedom Medal, the Queen’s Jubilee Medal in 1977, the 125th Anniversary Commemoration Medal in 1993 and in 1996 he was awarded the Jerusalem Prize. Bernard Lang was the 1986 Montreal Negev Dinner Honoree and is listed in the Who’s Who in World Jewry.
In 1985, Lang was selected President of the Conference of Suburban Mayors and re-elected in 1986, 1987 and 1988. He served on the Board of Directors of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities for 10 years and was a members of the Permanent Commission of the Environment.
His passion for the City of Côte Saint-Luc was unrelenting. He spearheaded the development of beautiful parks, urged the construction of the municipal pool, and proposed the creation of the Côte Saint-Luc library. His credo was “service in beautification and reasonable cost.” He retired from municipal politics in 1998 and 35 years of dedicated, loyal, tireless and exemplary service to Côte Saint-Luc. It recognition of that legacy, the City Hall and library complex was named the Bernard Lang Civic Centre.
Bernard Lang passed away on June 12, 2014 at age 88.
Joseph Raoul Henri Léger was a Côte Saint-Luc City Councillor from 1939 to 1942. He had worked for the Sulpicians for forty-four years and was a general manager of the Grand Séminaire de Montréal on Sherbrooke near Atwater. A jack-of-all-trades, Mr. Léger had also worked as an insurance salesman, a carpenter, an electrician, a plumber, a builder, and finally as a City Councillor in the early 1950s. He was a member of the Board of Health for the City of Côte Saint-Luc. He served on the Côte Saint-Luc School Commission from 1935-1959, and was president from 1952-1959. During this time, he was instrumental in the building of École Côte Saint-Luc on Côte Saint-Luc Road near Sunnybrooke. He was also one of the founders of St. Richard’s Parish. Henri Leger was a family-conscious and religious man whose generosity was legendary in Côte Saint-Luc. He was cousin to His Eminence Cardinal Paul-Emile Leger (1904-1991).
In 1927, Henri Léger bought the old 1845 stone Sulpician church called Chapelle de la Côte Saint-Luc on the corner of King Edward and Côte Saint-Luc Road, bearing the civic number 6767. This chapel was constructed in 1845, when the citizens of Côte Saint-Luc decided to ask for their own chapel. In fact, it was only in 1847 that the people of Côte-des-Neiges followed their example, and in 1849 that the people of Coteau Saint-Pierre (now Notre-Dame-de-Grâce) decided to build the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce Church. By then, Côte Saint-Luc already had their chapel, and the first mass was set in it in 1848.
When Henri Léger bought the old 1845 stone Sulpician church, it was extremely run down. Leger thought it was abandoned, but there was actually the Goyer family living there, having adopted the deserted building as their own. Leger and his family moved in only in 1928 because there was no furnace. Mrs. Leger notes: “I was amazed to find the basement floor with three layers of wood and also to find the walls more than two and a half feet thick.” She also recalled that the church had a seating capacity of 75 people.
Mr. Léger added 4 apartments at the back of the building which later on, his adult children occupied with their spouses. The interior of the church was fitted with exquisite wood imported from Columbia, which was then varnished to a very rich-looking finish. It was discovered that still more living space needed, so Mr. Leger built another home on King Edward attached to the back of the apartments.
In the backyard, Mrs. Léger kept a vegetable garden as well as a cow and several chickens, whose daily fresh eggs she sold. A garage was built on the side of the building to house the family car and the local doctor’s two horses.
In the early 1930s, Mrs. Léger opened a general grocery store and post office on the first floor – and right outside stood Côte Saint-Luc’s first and only two gas pumps. The store was famous for its large candy department and it held the village’s only snack bar where people would gather after church. It became a popular meeting place, playing cards, discussing business, waiting for election results, etc.
In approximately 1943, the store was rented out to a relative, Armand Roy, who ran a restaurant called Armand Restaurant for several years. It was sold Mr. Papineau, who ran it for a few years before it was bought by Johnny Palladini in 1955 who ran King Edward Provisions for 8.5 years. In the beginning, he ran a small snack bar/restaurant which included two pinball and two slot machines. These machines were subsequently removed at the insistence of Côte Saint-Luc City Council and the City of Montreal. In late 1950s, Mr. Palladini was able to acquire Côte Saint-Luc’s first beer license, and the snack bar became a grocery store with a large candy department. With the exception of Galardo’s, Mr. Palladini had the only store in Côte Saint-Luc for quite a while.
In the late 1950s, the garage which Mr. Leger had built for his car was remodeled to house two more businesses, Côte Saint-Luc Plumbing, owned by Marcel Roy, Mr. Léger’s son-in-law, and a shoe repair store, owned by Johnny Pace. In 1957, the same year it opened, the shoe repair shop was sold to Antonio Pulice, who stayed in that location until 1963, when he moved across the street on Côte Saint-Luc Road. Mr. Léger sold the building in 1964 to Les Habitations Levesque Inc. Not too long after, the building was resold and the tenants were all forced to vacate. Mr. Palladini was the last to move in October 1964 and the building was torn down two weeks later. St. Patrick’s Square was later built on that same corner.
Pierre Lemieux was born in 1865. His father was also Pierre, born in 1827, and his mother was Sophie Prud’homme, born 1834, the daughter of Eustache Prud’homme (uncle of Luc Prud’Homme, first mayor of Côte Saint-Luc). His grandfather was Paschal Lemieux and his grandmother was Therese Durand. His great grandfather was also Pierre who was probably the first Lemieux to farm in Côte Saint-Luc.
Mayor Pierre Lemieux married Marie Prud’homme in 1890, who was the daughter of Luc Prud’homme and Julie Senecal. He has two sons: Auguste and Leopold. Auguste was born in 1892 and Leopold was born in 1893.
Pierre Lemieux was Councilor in Côte Saint-Luc from 1903-1904 and again from 1909-1911. He became Mayor from 1905 – 1909 and from 1912 – 1938. He resigned due to poor health and died in 1941.
Pierre Lemieux was said to be one of the tallest men in Montreal of his time, measuring 6 feet and 7 inches. (Le Devoir, September 20, 1912).
Until 1964, the City Hall was housed in the former home of Pierre Lemieux, which is now located at 8100 Côte Saint-Luc Road. The house was built in 1927 and was sold to the village of Côte Saint-Luc by his son, Leopold Lemieux, in 1946. It was used as City Hall until 1964 when City Hall moved to the École PXI building at 594 Westminster (corner Côte Saint-Luc Road). The Lemieux family had owned the land which bordered Westluke and Wolseley and ran north south almost to the CPR tracks since the mid-1700s. Prior to this, there was no formal city hall, council meetings being held in the old stone church at the corner of King Edward and Cote-Saint-Luc Road.
For more information on the genealogy of the Lemieux family, visit: http://lequebecunehistoiredefamille.com/capsule/lemieux/genealogie
Hazel Lipes was the first woman to be elected to Côte Saint-Luc council. She received a Bachelor of Arts Degree and a Masters of Arts Degree in Social Work at McGill University. She also obtained a diploma from the Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, qualifying her for community mental health consultation. She worked as a psychiatric case worker at the Jewish general Hospital and played an active role in the Côte Saint-Luc Youth Clinic. She was the innovator and coordinator of the “People’s Place”, a community resource service. She also studied architecture under Frank Lloyd Wright in Wisconsin. She was a member of the Beth Zion Synagogue and a member of the Board of Directors of the Women’s Federation of Allied Jewish Community Services. She was a member of the Corporation of Professional Social Workers, an adviser to the Jewish Junior Welfare League, and Vice-President of the Quebec Association of Mental Health Consultants. She was part of the task force of community problems in the Côte-des-Neiges area. A proud mother of four, she was said to be a stimulating and well-informed public speaker.
In 1974, along with Pearl Bierbrier, she became one of two first women to run for council in the City of Côte Saint-Luc. She ran for Seat 1, against Pearl Bierbrier and Alan Stein. Her campaign, featuring the slogan “Because it’s time for people,” promised the improvement of civic services without increasing the tax burden and to streamline the use of existing recreational facilities and effect long-range planning for green spaces. She believed it necessary to meet the needs of senior citizens and to coordinate the existing youth and social services program. She fought against the spot rezoning of land and argued in favor of the establishment of specific portfolios for councillors in order to improve communication with residents and community consultation prior to major capital expenditure.
During her years as a councillor from 1974-1977, she faced a lot of opposition on council decisions. Her proposals were often vetoed by councilors, especially William Kesler, who publically called her a phony. She also frequently disagreed with Bernard Lang, who was mayor at the time. In fact, in 1982, she decided to run against him for the Mayorship of Côte Saint-Luc.
Described as Côte Saint-Luc’s “first mother”, she is said to never have missed a meeting. She supported various social and health programs around the city, such as the Emergency Measures Organization, the Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Training, and the Paramedic Ambulance Service linking Côte Saint-Luc, Hampstead and Montreal West. (Monitor, november 1, 1978).
The Hazel Lipes Award was created by the City of Côte Saint-Luc, which recognizes a volunteer for their exceptional contribution to the Community Services Programs.
Henry Marcovitz was born in 1922 in Montreal, Quebec. He was accepted to McGill Medical School at a time when not too many people of the Jewish faith were admitted. However, the advent of World War II compelled Marcovitz to enlist in the Canadian Army and fight for his country. He was discharged with honour after suffering twice from pneumonia. He returned to school and graduated with his Bachelor of Commerce Degree. He then went on to become a successful businessman. He married Shirley Charad and had several sons and daughters.
Henry moved to Randall Avenue, Côte Saint-Luc, in 1955. He became involved in local politics when he worked on the mayoral campaign of Samuel Moskovitch in 1964. In 1965, he was honored by Mayor Moskovitch for receiving the highest marks in school. He was first elected to city council in 1970, serving for 20 consecutive years, until 1989. He represented District 3 when the district system was set up in 1982.
“I first got to know Henry Marcovitz on the demerger campaign in 2004 when he joined with me and other former Côte Saint-Luc elected officials to promote the reconstitution of our city,” Former Mayor Anthony Housefather said. “He was already quite advanced in years but he had enormous energy and impressed me with his intellect and dedication to the cause.”
Marcovitz was chair of the town planning committee and a member of the finance and audit committee during the mid-1980s. This included the period when Côte Saint-Luc built its new library and city hall. He fought against condo conversions, forcing landlords to carry out improvements required under city bylaws.
“He was my city councilor while growing up in Côte Saint-Luc and was always available and welcoming treating my concerns with respect and importance,” said Mayor Mitchell Brownstein. “I was always proud to say I knew him as a friend to all he served.”
Marcovitz’s contributions were lauded by his peers. When he left office in 1990 after six terms, then-Mayor Bernard Lang called him a “level-headed” and “effective” councillor and that “he added a great deal of serenity to negotiations.” Then-Councilor Isadore Goldberg called him “one of the deans” of council.” Councillor Glenn J. Nashen said Markovitz had been very committed and served as an inspiration for new leaders.
“It was great having him as part of the council for two decades and his name and way of thinking continues to be mentioned a half century later,” Councilor Nashen said.
Marcovitz had been accepted to McGill medical school, but rather than complete his medical training, he felt compelled to enlist with the Canadian Army to fight in the Second World War. He later returned to school and graduated with a bachelor of commerce degree. He went on to become a successful businessman. He met his future wife, Shirley, who was the love of his life for 59 happy years. When she passed away a few years ago, he asked that the tombstone be engraved with the unusual but heartfelt words, “a beautiful marriage.”
He lived a healthy lifestyle and stayed in shape by water skiing, downhill skiing, and playing squash and golf. He even continued to exercise when he was in a wheelchair and attended lectures at the library into his last year.
“Henry was a Mensch, a gentleman and a role model,” said Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz at Marcovitz’s funeral last year. “He could fix his own car, repair his own house and do his own taxes. Above all, he was a man of integrity, kindness and generosity.”
Above all, Marcovitz stood for the development of Côte Saint-Luc according to a comprehensive master plan, the maintenance of high building standards, the long-range improved fiscal planning to save tax dollars, better recreational and social facilities, and greater public participation on vital municipal matters.
He passed away on October 7th, 2014 at the age of 92. The Henry Marcovitz Playground, part of the McDowell Park, was dedicated to him in great honour on June 28, 2015.
Yvan Edgar McCubbin was born in 1892 in Quebec and married Catherine (Kate) Annie Hodge at the Saint-Andew’s Presbyterian Church in Lachine in 1916. He and Kate and their daughter Eileen lived at 312 Saint-Patrick Avenue in the Glenn Farm region of Lasalle in the early 1920s. He arrived in Côte Saint-Luc in the late 20s. A carpenter by profession, he built his own house, now located at 635 Wolseley, in 1927. His house still stands today.
He became a Councillor of the municipality from 1936-1941. He was in charge of fire protection and was influential in the creation of a system of fire protection. He was then put in charge of the Buildings Department and put forth a motion to adopt a new By-Law 59 regarding the maintenance of current buildings and future buildings in the municipality. In honour of his contributions, the City named a street after him nearby (McCubbin Road).
Councillor from 1921-1928
The Prud’homme Family goes back to the founding of Montreal. For more genealogical information on the Prud’homme family, visit:
Councillor from 1918-1919, 1921-1922, 1924-1931
The Prud’homme Family goes back to the founding of Montreal. For more genealogical information on the Prud’homme family, visit:
Councillor from 1912-1914, 1924-1931
The Prud’homme Family goes back to the founding of Montreal. For more genealogical information on the Prud’homme family, visit:
Councillor from 1905-1919
Councillor from 1903-1912, 1920
Councillor from 1912-1919
Councillor in 1914
Councillor from 1903-1909
The Prud’homme Family goes back to the founding of Montreal. Luc Prud’homme is a direct descendant of Louis Prud’homme, who arrived in Ville Marie with Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve in 1641, contracted by the Sulpicians to found a colony.
Louis Prud’homme was born in Pomponne, France in 1611 and came to Ville-Marie in 1641. He was Montreal’s first brewer and captain of its militia.
In the 1650s, Louis Prud’homme and others (Décarie, Leduc and Lemieux families) were given grants of farmland in eastern NDG as rewards for their service. They cleared the land, discovering it to be exceptionally fertile. The Prud’homme family has been farming in Côte Saint-Luc since the 1700s. The early Prud’homme lands stretched just west of Décarie where Prud’homme Avenue now stands. They were exceptionally known for their apple orchards.
However, the first recorded Prud’homme in Côte Saint-Luc was Jérémie Prud’homme (1766-1846). He is listed by the Sulpicians as one of the twenty family heads living in Côte Saint-Luc in 1818. He was married to Marie Louise Décarie (1769-1855), another important farming family. Jérémie had sons Gervais and Eustache. Gervais was Luc’s father.
Gervais Prud’homme (1797-1886) was married to Scholastique Leduc (1800-1862), Luc’s mother. We are not sure, at this juncture, where his land was, however by 1872, his descendants owned the land where the Côte Saint-Luc Shopping Centre now stands, as well as plots of land further west towards Westminster. Lots were 30 acres long and about 3 acres wide running north-south.
Jérémie’s other son, Eustache (1794-1872) acquired the land next door towards Westminster. Eustache was married to Catherine Hurtubise (another great farming family). In 1849, Eustache Prud’homme sold 30 acres of his land to build the Roman Catholic Church of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, which still stands near the corner of NDG Avenue and Décarie boulevard. His son Jérémie (1825-1902) was married to Sophie Lortie and farmed Lot 105. Their son Eustache Jr. farmed Lot 98, which was beside Luc. Their son Joseph had Lot 104. Jérémie and Sophie’s sons Eustache, Jérémie and Gervais went on to be councillors in Côte Saint-Luc.
Luc Prud’homme was born in 1834. He was appointed School Commissioner for the Municipality of Notre-Dame-de-Grace West (which was then the area of Côte Saint-Luc) in the County of Hochelaga until 1891 (Gazette Officielle du Quebec, 3 octobre 1891).
When the NDG Parish was dismembered in 1903, Côte Saint-Luc detached from the group of four regions which composed the NDG Parish (Village Turcot, Côte Saint-Antoine, Côteau Saint-Pierre and Côte Saint-Luc). At the time, Côteau Saint-Pierre was undergoing various improvements to their area, such as building aqueducs, canals and installing lights. The region of Côte Saint-Luc did not want to finance these improvements, as they would not benefit from them. Therefore, the owners of the area of Côte Saint-Luc asked the Quebec Parliament for a corporate charter of village, and so the Village of Côte Saint-Luc was founded in January 1903 (Gazette Officielle du Quebec, February 14, 1903). Luc Prud’homme, Joseph Prud’homme, Pierre Lemieux, Stanislas Viau, Francois-Xavier Décarie and Henri Décarie were elected Councillors. In July of 1903, the Councillors got together and elected Luc Prud’homme as first Mayor of Côte Saint-Luc (La Presse, July 11, 1903).
Mayor Prud’homme was well-known for his probity, his spirit of initiation and his entrepreneurship. His farmhouse, located on Lot 95, stood where the Côte Saint-Luc shopping center is now situated. His land was sold in the 1940s, becoming a riding stable (Red Top Barn) and then sold in the 50s to developers. He married Julie Senecal, who came from another early farming family in Côte Saint-Luc. They lived on the farm with his children Joseph, Marie, Luc, Ezilda and Victoria, along with Luc’s sister Celina, his brother Gervais and their father Gervais.
He passed away in 1919, at the age of 85. Prud’homme Park was subsequently named after him in 1989. The street Prud’homme Avenue in NDG is named after another relative, Léon Prud’homme (1824-1904), who owned the land where this street runs through.
For more genealogical information on the Prud’homme family, visit:
Councillor from 1915-1931
Councillor from 1915-1919
Councillor in 1913
Irving Singerman was born in 1928 in Montreal, Quebec. He was founder and president of Wallmaster Cleaning Services, Ltd. He married Dora Black, and had two daughters, Mrs. Naomi Goodz and Mrs. Cynthia Kay. He also had two brothers, Hyman and Dave.
Singerman first ran for elections for city council on May 12 1965, replacing Ron Hindle on seat 3. He was elected councilor in a by-election and was re-elected in all subsequent elections. His first election campaign was based on improved police protection, zoning, greater emphasis on parks and playgrounds, disposing of unneeded city-owned land, establishing the eligibility for husband and wife for civic office, and a new order of priorities for major capital projects to prevent tax increases. Singerman was active in BBYO, which is a “leading pluralistic Jewish teen movement aspiring to involve more Jewish teens in more meaningful Jewish experiences.” He was one of the group of four men responsible for the purchase of the organization’s first building on Jeanne-Mance Avenue in 1949.
A founding member and fourth president of the Maple Leaf Lodge B’nai Brith from 1950-1951, he was responsible for the creation of the B’nai Brith Coordinating Committee and was its first president in 1951. He was the founder and president of Shaare Zedek Congregation for a period 6 years, as well as the first president of the Northeast Region of the United Synagogue of America. Councillor Singerman served as Co-Chairman on the Finance Committee and was Chairman of the Civil Defense Committee. He worked closely with the police and fire department to implement a program of civil defense in CSL.
Irving Singerman died suddenly at the age of 47 on March 25, 1975. He had been councillor in CSL for the 10 years and well-known in the Jewish Community. His funeral service was held at the Shaare Zedek Synagogue, of which he was founder and past-president. (Monitor, March 26, 1975).
In 1975, the city of CSL announced that they would build Singerman park in dedication to Irving Singerman. The park is located on the corner of Robinson and Regal. (Monitor, May 28, 1975).