The City of Côte Saint-Luc is a dynamic municipality on the island of Montreal with a population of approximately 33 000. The city prides itself on providing the highest level of services to its residents at a reasonable cost. We are currently looking for an Arboricultural Technician in the Public works Department.
Under the supervision of the Director of Public Works, the incumbent performs various tasks relating to the establishment and application of measures related to the challenges and objectives of urban forestry. Acts as a resource person for tree issues in the application of municipal bylaws.
Examples of duties to be performed:
- Collaborates with the geomatics and information system division to update the computerized inventory of public trees in the territory. Prepares various statements, collects technical information in the form of a file or service report;
- Checks the state of health of trees and plants as well as their structural and environmental conditions;
- Inspects and assesses trees on the ground, establishes a diagnosis and prescribes corrective actions or treatments according to their assessment of the risk factors Act as an intermediary in the management of the website, social media, and intranet for the various city departments.
- Collaborates in the strategy of screening and prevention of all tree diseases in order to preserve them. Establishes an annual treatment program;
- Responds to telephone calls and requests from citizens, meets with them to obtain clarifications, or provides them with information on possible solutions;
- Performs research to obtain the information required to resolve particular problems or respond to requests from different applicants;
- Determines the ownership of trees and plants using plans, street lines, land surveyors’ reports, software for measurements taken in the field, or any other source of information for the purpose of carrying out work or for the application of regulations;
- Monitors various contracts related to tree pruning and treatment;
- Participates in various Public Works Department committees, when necessary, for the transmission of information and the implementation of decisions concerning their sphere of activity;
- Produces various reports, statistics or others, required by management in connection with their activities;
- Develops development plans, prepares technical specifications, draws sketches, prepares tables and completes various reports or documents relating to their field of activity;
- Participates in the preparation of files in the event of claims for damage caused to third parties by trees; assesses the damage caused to trees as well as the cost of replacement and / or felling;
- Participates in the development of a tree planting and reforestation program;
- Proceeds to drafting requests for certificates of authorization to the MDDELCC or other organizations as needed;
- Participates in the drafting of grant applications related to their field of expertise;
- Assists and initiates the workers concerned on various techniques relating to notching and other tasks related to trees;
- Collaborates with the Sustainable Environment division in specific areas;
- Supervises the work of students during the summer; trains them and provides them with explanations; checks work and participates in staff evaluation
Qualifications and education:
- At least 2 to 3 years of experience relevant to the position;
- Hold a college diploma (DEC) in arboriculture, landscaping, agronomy or other relevant techniques.
- Good knowledge of the office and/or field geomatics tools of Esri’s ArcGis platform;
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite;
- Hold a valid and recognized driver’s license required for the job;
- Hold a safety card for construction sites;
- Knowledge of horticulture (asset);
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken French.
- Sense of observation to be able to detect an abnormality or health problem in a tree.
- Excellent ability to work in a team;
- Autonomy, initiative, resourcefulness;
- Ease in working at height;
- Ability to communicate;
Salary and benefits: According to the collective agreement: 50,140.00$
Schedule: Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
To apply: Please forward a copy of your resume accompanied by a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The City of Côte Saint-Luc operates an Equal Employment Program and, in this regard, we are committed to supporting inclusive diversity practices. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.