The city of Côte Saint-Luc is a dynamic municipality on the island of Montreal with a population of approximately 33 000. The city prides itself on providing the highest level of services to its residents at a reasonable cost. We are currently looking for a Draftsman (Geomatics).
Under the supervision of the Manager of Engineering, the person will carry out various thematic mapping projects, by assuming in particular, the cartographic representation, the validation of the constituent elements, the responsibility for the printing steps, the cost estimate and the control of the quality of the product, which is distributed both internally and externally (public bodies, public utility companies, para-municipal corporations, etc.). In addition, the person will have to establish standards for structuring the representation of thematic maps and base maps.
Examples of completed tasks:
- Meet applicants to discuss the content of their thematic mapping project, establish the general concept with them.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of project costs, propose schedules and operational strategy, present the recommended solutions and recommend the best one.
- Plan the selection and collection of data relevant to different thematic projects or base maps in collaboration with the applicants, ensure its collection and validation; connect this data to the base maps.
- Establish design concepts of base maps and thematic maps, specific to each project as well as the process and production techniques. Plan, coordinate and perform the appropriate layers for the printing of these maps.
- Write and maintain specification guides and cartographic specifications for base maps and thematic maps.
- Develop, using programming tools, data banks and their associations to base maps, as well as programs to automate profitable work stages regarding the production cycle of thematic mapping. Document libraries of programs.
- Oversee the implementation of projects according to budget; release the necessary funds as and when the stages are realized.
- Develop for the City, standards for structuring the representation of thematic maps and base maps; submit to his superior for approval.
- Ensure in the design of the maps a flexibility of product so as to promote its continuous updating as inexpensively as possible.
- Control thoroughly and throughout the process the quality of the cartographic product; make the final corrections before printing, and monitor the quality of work of the printer.
- Design and produce specific distribution products for the representation of the territory from cartographic documents, aerial photos, land survey files, cadastral compilation, city property register, technical surveys using GPS tracking and measuring equipment, etc.
- Act as a resource person to the module, municipal services, paramunicipal societies, public utility companies and external applicants, for thematic mapping.
- Coordinate and monitor activities of employees and ensure that the work meets the objectives.
- Assign tasks; choose methods and work procedures and oversee their implementation; ensure compliance with deadlines; oversee the training of his staff and advise them in complex or litigious cases.
- Oversee the behavior of employees under his responsibility, and point out to them any derogation, and, if necessary, refer to superior.
- Participate in the implementation of mandates directed to the division by designing and producing the visual equipment at trade shows, conferences, international events and other.
- Use, if necessary, various office equipment to perform certain tasks related to the job, while using appropriate programming.
- Undertake any other related tasks
Qualifications and education:
- Hold a College diploma (DEC) specializing in the appropriate sector and profile or any other training deemed relevant;
- Have at least two years of relevant work experience to familiarize yourself with the nature of the job;
- Knowledge of thematic cartography; (Autocad Map, ArcGis);
- Knowledge of geomatics; (Access Cité Territoire);
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of graphic design and editing on microcomputer;
- Knowledge of specialized reproduction and data conversion (FME) processes;
- Have good interpersonal communication skills;
- Sense of organization and coordination;
- Ability to work with precision and under pressure in a team work environment;
- Be bilingual both spoken and written (English and French);
Salary and benefits: According to the collective agreement: $50,140.00
Schedule: Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
To apply: Please forward a copy of your resume accompanied by a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The City of Côte Saint-Luc operates an Equal Employment Program and, in this regard, we are committed to supporting inclusive diversity practices. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.