The City of Côte Saint-Luc is a dynamic municipality on the island of Montreal with a population of approximately 33 000. The City prides itself on providing the highest level of services to its residents at a reasonable cost. We are currently looking to hire an Permit Issuing Agent for the Urban Planning Division.
The work consists of verifying, approving, or refusing plans and estimates for permits regarding construction, modification, demolition, plumbing, occupancy, signs and billboards; this, in conformity with regulations adopted by the City regarding construction and building services, zoning, fire protection, cleanliness.
Examples of completed tasks:
- Verify and analyze plans, estimates and requests for construction permits and building services that are submitted and ensure their conformity to the municipal by-laws in effect as well as to the pertinent directives and policies of the department.
- Point out irregularities in plans and suggest to the appropriate persons the modifications to be made; consult with a professional of the unit for examination of complex or litigious cases.
- Approve the submitted plans and estimates when they are in accordance with all the various regulations whose application, he is responsible for; refuse permit requests when the plans do not conform to the regulations which, he must ensure, are respected.
- Give explanations, at the counter, to contractors, construction professionals and the public for regulation requirements regarding zoning, construction, building services, fire protection, occupancy, cleanliness, signs and billboards to help applicants submit acceptable plans and requests.
- Communicate with various municipal services and respond to telephone requests for information emanating from the public, representatives of other divisions, etc. to inform them on the application of zoning, construction, building services, fire protection, occupancy, cleanliness and sign and billboard regulations.
- Meet with various interested parties such as contractors, engineers, architects, promoters, etc., to discuss the application of various municipal by-laws associated with his sector.
- Perform calculations of job costs to establish the cost of permits.
- Assist and participate in committees and various meetings or reunions with a view to discussing the update of regulations that he must apply, or the interpretation and application of regulations and standards related to his sector of activity.
- Prepare various reports and correspondence related to his field.
- Analyze reports that emanate from the inspection divisions of construction work and premises occupancy which describe the buildings, or the various systems related to the buildings; occasionally, proceed with some verifications, from both an occupancy and construction aspect, to gather certain information required for a better comprehension of the file.
- Regularly visit the construction sites to ensure a compliance of the documents that are submitted for a permit request.
- Use, if needed, various office equipment to accomplish certain tasks related to the job, while using the appropriate programs.
- Testify at various administrative tribunals as part of his mandate.
- Undertake any other related task.
Qualifications and education:
- College studies diploma, appropriate sector and specialty.
- Two (2) years of experience in a job that allows employee to become familiar with the line of work.
- Good knowledge of regulations, laws and ordinances governing the construction, building services, zoning, occupancy, signs and billboards, commercial sanitation, and fire prevention.
- Fluently bilingual: written and spoken
Salary and benefits: According to the collective agreement, from $ 56,738.14 per year.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
To apply: Please forward a copy of your resume, accompanied by a cover letter to: [email protected]
The masculine form is used for the sole purpose of simplifying the text and no discrimination is intended.
We thank applicants for their interest; however, priority will be given to candidates that best meet the overall profile. In addition, the City recognizes diplomas and relevant experience obtained outside Quebec. However, it is the candidate’s responsibility to provide, when required, the comparative assessment of studies issued by the Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion.
Given the exceptional circumstances we are experiencing at the moment, measures have been put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In particular, where applicable, the interviews will be by videoconference or by telephone.
Equal Access to Employment
The City of Côte Saint-Luc operates an equal access employment program, and, in this regard, we are committed to supporting inclusive diversity practices. We invite women, visible and ethnic minorities, aboriginals, and persons with disabilities to apply.
People with disabilities are invited to tell us their specific needs in order to provide accommodation for the selection process. Please be assured that this information will remain strictly confidential.