The City of Côte Saint-Luc is a dynamic municipality on the island of Montreal with a population of approximately 33 000. The City prides itself on providing the highest level of services to its residents at a reasonable cost. We are currently looking to hire a legal secretary for the Legal Department.
Under the authority of the Assistant City Clerk, the work consists of carrying out various secretarial duties, for administrative support, but more specifically of the legal sector.
Examples of completed tasks
- Carry out various writing and secretarial duties related to the legal sector, such as the filing of pleadings, forms, indexes, deeds and solicitor deeds, the research of volumes or articles in a legal library, the gathering of information by consulting the archives of the court or by communicating with the officer of the court.
- Drafting of draft resolutions, draft minutes of City Council meetings, of public notices and any and any/all other documents originating from the City Clerk’s Department.
- Sends certified copies of resolutions to the appropriate City Departments.
- Sends public notices to the local newspaper and coordinates publication on the City’s web site in cooperation with the appropriate City Department.
- Resolve, in order to reduce the workload of the person or persons that handle a considerable number of minor administrative details, such as the keeping of the agenda, the preparation of standard letters (to the attention of the opposing party, a third party, regarding claims against and for the City, access to information requests, etc.), the preparation of reports and pleadings in progress.
- Prepare correspondence of general nature.
- Verify correspondence to be mailed and ensure that it does not contain errors.
- Note and transcribe dictation and typing of various texts, from shorthand notes or recordings, draft texts for administration or texts related to solicitor deeds or to the legal field.
- Reread and correct texts by paying particular attention to the grammar, punctuation and format.
- Answer the telephone, take messages, give pertinent information concerning the files and their progression, receive and inform the visitors.
- Do follow-up on the progress of documents and due dates; return telephone calls to the appropriate parties.
- Open and sort mail for department.
- See to the preparation of material needed for meetings and proceed with invitations.
- Assist at meetings, take notes of proceedings and prepare reports or draft minutes.
- Gather and assemble information from various sources.
- Perform various secretarial tasks, operate office equipment (photocopier, fax machine, calculator, etc.).
- Use, when necessary, a word processor with the appropriate program.
- Guide and direct certain employees appointed to similar and related tasks and verify the quality of their work.
- Hold supervisor’s agenda.
- Make travel arrangements for superior (transportation), accommodation, monetary advance, list of expenses, etc.
- Perform all other related duties.
Qualifications and education
- Professional studies diploma, pertinent program and sector.
- Two (2) years of experience in a similar job
- Bilingual, written and spoken, English and French
- Excel, Word, Office, etc.
- Demonstrate tact and courtesy.
- Prepare texts.
- Adapt to various situations.
- Keep agendas.
- Guide and direct the work of employees.
Salary and benefits: starting from $46,100.02 per year.
To apply: Please forward a copy of your resume, accompanied by a cover letter to: [email protected]
The masculine form is used for the sole purpose of simplifying the text and no discrimination is intended.
We thank applicants for their interest; however, priority will be given to candidates that best meet the overall profile. In addition, the City recognizes diplomas and relevant experience obtained outside Quebec. However, it is the candidate’s responsibility to provide, when required, the comparative assessment of studies issued by the Ministry of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion.
Given the exceptional circumstances we are experiencing at the moment, measures have been put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In particular, where applicable, the interviews will be by videoconference or by telephone.
Equal Access to Employment
The City of Côte Saint-Luc operates an equal access employment program, and, in this regard, we are committed to supporting inclusive diversity practices. We invite women, visible and ethnic minorities, aboriginals, and persons with disabilities to apply.
People with disabilities are invited to tell us their specific needs in order to provide accommodation for the selection process. Please be assured that this information will remain strictly confidential.