The City of Côte Saint-Luc is a dynamic municipality on the island of Montreal with a population of approximately 33 000. The City prides itself on providing the highest level of services to its residents at a reasonable cost. We are currently looking to hire a Library Technician.
The work consists of carrying out the technical work required for the purchase, organization, conservation, use and diffusion of documentary resources, as well as for the use and maintenance of the City library equipment.
DETAILS OF POSITION
- Organize and update suppliers’ files and commercial catalogues and convey the contents to the appropriate people.
- Contact the providers of the documents, forward the orders and approve the invoices for payment for the manager responsible of the budget.
- Update the orders and subscription files, notify the suppliers of late orders; ensure that the price and delivery errors are corrected.
- Receive documentation in the departments and branches and ensure its integration at collection and in files.
- File documentation and catalogue periodicals according to instructions received; process, according to established procedures, additional or replacement copies, continuations, etc.; ensure the operation of the automatic reception of new publications.
- Identify authors, complete identification cards and prepare descriptive catalogue of documents.
- Perform various technical tasks connected to the update of subject headings of bibliographical data.
- Carry out bibliographical searches; group the requests for documentation and check their bibliographical data.
- Select the volumes to be bound or repaired; group the periodicals for binding.
- Assist users by responding to basic information requests; give them technical information about catalogues, assist them in finding bibliographical information and using the documentation.
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of employees assigned to various technical support tasks related to public library activities and ensure that completed work meets with the objectives.
- Assign tasks; choose the methods and procedures of work and see to their implementation; ensure that payment registers are respected; see to the training of his personnel and advise them in complicated and litigious cases.
- Observe the conduct of the employees under his responsibility; point out any derogation and, if necessary, refer to his superior.
- Verify films and other audio-visual documents and recommend, if necessary, their repair or rejection, and, if necessary, research innovations with regard to audio-visual equipment.
- Proceed with the lending and borrowing of documents, books, etc. with other organizations and ensure their progression and follow-up.
- Organize in filing system, supplementary documentation files (brochures, newspaper clippings, articles, etc.) and complete the required cards.
- Create posters, write directives for users, reports and do correspondence; verify orientation plans for the users; collaborate in the animation activities organized by the library.
- Keep in stock the materials and equipment used in his department, see to their maintenance and prepare, if necessary, lists for orders.
- Collaborate in recensions, format bibliographies, identify problems of bibliographical descriptions.
- Organize, at the request of the immediate supervisor, animation activities for library clientele.
- Use various office automation equipment, as may be required, to perform certain tasks related to the job, using appropriate programming.
- Undertake any other related duties.
- Education Diploma of collegial studies, specialized, pertinent sector and profile.
- Experience 1 year of similar work experience
- Excellent knowledge of English and French.
- Good knowledge of Documentation techniques
Abilities or Aptitudes:
- communicate with public;
- prepare clear and precise reports;
- well spoken, diplomatic;
- coordinate and supervise the work of employees.
- may be required to work evenings and weekends.
N.B.: You may be required to submit to a written competency test
HOW TO APPLY
Please forward a copy of your resume accompanied by a cover letter to Human Resources Departement
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The City of Côte Saint-Luc operates an Equal Employment Program and, in this regard, we are committed to supporting inclusive diversity practices