PUBLIC NOTICE is hereby given by the Undersigned, Assistant City Clerk, that the following draft by-law was tabled at the Regular Meeting of the Côte Saint-Luc City Council held on January 17, 2022, at 8:00p.m.:
“By-law 2579 readopting the Code of Ethics and Good Conduct for the elected municipal officers of the City of Côte Saint-Luc’’
In conformity with the Municipal Ethics and Good Conduct Act (C.Q.L.R., chapter E-22.214.171.124), this by-law will be adopted at the next Regular Meeting of City Council to be held on February 14, 2022, at 8:00p.m. by way of videoconference due to circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This draft by-law has been presented in order to readopt the City of Côte Saint-Luc’s by-law concerning the Code of Ethics and Good Conduct of its Elected Municipal Officers as per the legislative requirements provided in the Municipal Ethics and Good Conduct Act (C.Q.L.R., chapter E-126.96.36.199), namely, that the current Code of Ethics and Good Conduct must be revised and replaced, with or without amendments, before March 1st following a general election.
The draft by-law also includes amendments pursuant to the sanction of Bill 49 entitled: “An Act to amend the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities, the Municipal Ethics and Good Conduct Act and various provisions”, which introduces new rules with respect to the Code of Ethics and Conduct of council members.
The draft by-law can be summarized as follows:
- Establish that respect and civility are amongst the values of the City and that each council member should act accordingly;
- Widening the notion of respect by prohibiting psychological harassment and enforcing civility in the workforce;
- The addition of provisions concerning the protection of confidential information;
- The addition of provisions concerning non-pecuniary conflict of interests for Elected Officials;
- The addition of more sanctions such as fines, penalties, suspension and participation in a professional development program for the violation of the Code of Ethics and Good Conduct for elected municipal officers;
- The obligation for all Council members to participate in a professional development program within 6 months following the beginning of their respective term;
- The addition of a prohibition of using retaliatory measures subsequent to the application of the Code of Ethics and good conduct for elected municipal officers; and
- That no member shall engage in any conduct that is derogatory to the honour and dignity of the elected office.
GIVEN at Côte Saint-Luc, on this 26th day of January 2022.
Me Jason Prévost
Assistant City Clerk
For further information, please contact Me Jason Prévost at (514) 485-6800 or at [email protected].