Certain works inside and/or outside a residence require a permit issued by the Urban Planning Department. It is therefore highly recommended to contact this department before beginning any work.
You must obtain a permit for the following (non-exhaustive):
- Fences and hedges
- Swimming pools
- Construction or modification of a balcony, deck, patio or terrace
- Construction/redoing of a driveway
- Renovations/general modifications
- New windows
- New façade
- Car shelters
The application for these permits should be submitted as soon as possible before the work is to start. Once the work is started, it must be completed within three months—however, if it is not completed within three months, you can apply for a new permit.
If you are unsure whether you need a permit, please email us at [email protected] or call the Urban Planning Department at 514-485-6800.
See Temporary car shelter (tempos) to apply for a certificate of authorization for a winter car shelter
See Trees to use the PDF tree cutting application form
Time of day restrictions
Unless you have permission from the City granted under special circumstances:
- You may not carry out exterior work (including excavation):
- between 7 pm and 7 am on week days (Mon – Fri);
- on weekends and statutory holidays.
- You may not carry out all other construction work:
- between 7 pm and 7 am and week days (Mon – Fri);
- between 7 pm and 9 am on weekends and statutory holidays.
How to receive a construction permit
Here are the steps required to receive a building permit for a new construction of extension:
- Submit to Urban Planning a perspective and/or elevation of the proposed dwelling and a site plan
- The Planning Advisory Committee will review the request and recommend approval or rejection to City Council
- If City Council approves, you must submit to Urban Planning three copies of complete plans, signed and stamped by an architect, engineer, or any person allowed to do so by law
- A construction permit will be issued
For all other requests, such as an installation of a fence or repaving of a driveway, the deposit of certain documents will be necessary. Call Urban Planning to learn which ones are necessary and the costs of different permits.
You can request a copy of your house plans from the Urban Planning Division. However, only the owner can obtain a copy of the plans, provided that the architect who drew up the plans authorizes the city to transmit them to the owner. The city charges a minimum fee.