Time of day restrictions
Unless you have permission from the City granted under special circumstances:
- You may not carry out exterior work (including excavation):
- between 7 pm and 7 am on week days (Mon – Fri);
- on weekends and statutory holidays.
- You may not carry out all other construction work:
- between 7 pm and 7 am and week days (Mon – Fri);
- between 7 pm and 9 am on weekends and statutory holidays.
How to receive a construction permit
Here are the steps required to receive a building permit for a new construction of extension:
- Submit to Urban Planning a perspective and/or elevation of the proposed dwelling and a site plan
- The Planning Advisory Committee will review the request and recommend approval or rejection to City Council
- If City Council approves, you must submit to Urban Planning three copies of complete plans, signed and stamped by an architect, engineer, or any person allowed to do so by law
- A construction permit will be issued
For all other requests, such as an installation of a fence or repaving of a driveway, the deposit of certain documents will be necessary. Call Urban Planning to learn which ones are necessary and the costs of different permits.
You can request a copy of your house plans from the Urban Planning Division. However, only the owner can obtain a copy of the plans, provided that the architect who drew up the plans authorizes the city to transmit them to the owner. The city charges a minimum fee.