Construction and renovation

Frequently asked questions

Please note

It is the responsibility of the owner to obtain required permits. If you require more information or clarification, please contact the Urban Planning Department at [email protected] or 514-485-6800.  The information contained on this page is simplified and for information purposes only. In case of a contradiction between the By-law and this document, the former will prevail. In case of a contradiction between the By-law and this document, the former will prevail.

What type of work requires a permit?

Permits are required for most construction or renovation projects including but not limited to: fences, sheds, balconies/decks, swimming pools, driveway alterations, exterior modifications and interior renovations that change the floor plan of your house (e.g.: removing or adding new walls). If you are unsure whether or not you require a permit or have any questions relating to permit applications please contact the Urban Planning Department.

How much does a permit cost?

The cost varies depending on the type of permit. In most cases a $75 fee is charged for the request and the cost of the permit is determined based on the value of the work being done. Please see Fee Schedule for more detailed information about the fees for different types of permits.

How long does it take to obtain a permit?

The length of time to process and issue permits depends largely on the complexity of the request and the volume of requests being processed. Requests that do not require approval from the Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) or City Council generally take five to ten business days to be issued.

What types of requests are subject to review by the Planning Advisory Committee?

Requests for new construction, expansion, or exterior renovations of residential and commercial buildings as well as any request for a minor exemption from the zoning by-law are reviewed by the PAC and decided by City Council.

What is a minor exemption?

Minor exemptions permit small deviations from the zoning by-law that do not involve land use or occupation density and require approval from the PAC and City Council. They can be used to permit new construction that does not conform or to allow for pre-existing nonconforming constructions. Minor exemptions are required before selling or obtaining a construction permit for a property with a nonconforming construction. Written approval of the exemption from any affected neighbours will always assist in obtaining approval from City Council. See the Minor Exemptions guide for more information.

How can I find out what zone my house is in and what regulations apply?

In order to determine what zone your property is in you can consult the zoning map. Once you determine the correct zone you can refer to the appropriate column in the Table of uses and norms which indicates setbacks, heights, permitted uses, and dimensions for new construction (extensions, decks, patios, etc.) permitted in your zone.

What are the permitted hours of construction?

Unless permission was granted under special circumstances, it is prohibited:

  • To carry out exterior construction work (including excavation):
    • between 7 pm and 7 am on week days (Mon-Fri);
    • on weekends and statutory holidays;
  • To carry out all other construction work:
    • between 7 pm and 7 am on week days (Mon-Fri);
    • between 7 pm and 9 am on weekends and statutory holidays.

What information is required to obtain a permit?

The information and documents required vary depending on the nature of the request but typically a certificate of location showing the location of the proposed work as well as plans or drawings are necessary for a permit to be issued. For specific information please consult the information pamphlets available on our website or at the counter or contact us by email at [email protected] or by phone at 514-485-6800.

Can I change the colour of the masonry (bricks and/or stones) on my house, using a paint or stain product?

No, you may not use a paint or stain product to alter the colour of bricks or stones (masonry) on your house. Painting masonry is prohibited in Côte Saint-Luc (refer to zoning by-law 2217 article 4-6-9 m, and Chapter 14). All exterior modification projects, including changing the colour of any façade of the house, must go through a process of approval by the Planning Advisory Committee and the City Council. Please contact the Urban Planning Department by email at [email protected] or by phone at 514-485-6800 for further information.

Can I place a container on the street?

A permit from the city is required prior to placing a container on a city street or sidewalk. Sometimes a street rental permit is also required. See Fee schedule for more detailed information.

Do I need a permit to cut down a tree?

Yes, a certificate of authorization is required in order to cut down, fell, or alter a tree on your property. For trees bordering public roads, the City requires that the tree be replaced at the owner’s expense. In order to ensure the tree is replaced, a deposit is required to be submitted when the permit is issued. If a tree is on city property, only the city is permitted to cut down, alter, fell, or maintain it. See the tree guide for more information.

When are temporary car shelters (tempos) permitted?

New rules came into effect on November 1, 2018 in Côte Saint-Luc on temporary car shelters, or tempos. Some areas of the city are allowed to install tempos, but some are not. If your area is allowed, they may be erected only between November 1 and April 15 of the next year. See the tempo guide for more information.

Do I need a permit for a temporary car shelter?

A permit is required for a temporary car shelter. The permit is valid only for the duration of the ownership of the dwelling. See the tempo guide for more information.

Can I install a sprinkler system, a retaining wall or a basketball hoop on city land?

Damage to sprinkler systems and other private encroachments

The City of Côte Saint-Luc reminds residents that the City does not repair any private encroachment, such as sprinkler systems damaged as a result of road repair, reconstruction, snow removal or street cleaning.

Encroachments are defined as anything installed, constructed or planted within the public road allowance that was not installed, constructed or planted by the City.

When installation a sprinkler system, retaining wall, or other items, please ensure it is not placed on city land.

For more information, see Damage to private property within the City right-of-way or close to the sidewalk.