Legal affairs


How to make a claim against the City

In order to obtain compensation for a bodily injury suffered, the claimant must contact the City as soon as possible to report the event. Thereafter, whether or not he or she has received an official response, if they wish to file a lawsuit, it must be filed with the Court within three (3) years of the accident that caused the damage.

In order to obtain compensation for damages to property,the claimant must send the City a written notice of claim within fifteen (15) days following the date of the event, failing which the claim will be denied, even if the claimant cannot provide all the information (details and damages) within fifteen (15) days. The claimant may forward additional information afterwards. Whether or not a formal response is received, if the claimant then wishes to commence a lawsuit, the claimant must wait until the expiration of fifteen (15) days from the date of service of the notice. The lawsuit must however be filed with the Court within six (6) months of the day the event occurred or the day the right of action arose or the lawsuit will be dismissed.

Please note that in the event of a failure to notify, the City of Côte Saint-Luc will not be liable to compensate.

Timely notification of a claim does not in itself constitute an admission of liability on the part of the City or an acceptance of compensation from the City.

You may alternatively send your claim by mail to Legal Services and City Clerk 5801, Cavendish, Blvd. Côte Saint-Luc, Quebec, H4W 3C3. Or you may send your claim by email at: [email protected].