BY-LAW NO. 2579
Object: Coming into force of By-law No. 2579
PUBLIC NOTICE is hereby given by the Undersigned, Me Jason Prévost, Assistant City Clerk, that the Côte Saint-Luc City Council adopted, at its Regular Meeting held on February 14, 2022, By-law No. 2579 entitled:
“By-Law 2579 readopting the Code of Ethics and Good Conduct for the Elected Municipal Officers of the City of Côte Saint-Luc”
The object of By-law 2579 is to revise and replace the current Code of Ethics and Good Conduct of its Elected Municipal Officers, which must be done before March 1st following a general election in conformity with the Municipal Ethics and Good Conduct Act (C.Q.L.R., chapter E-220.127.116.11). The by-law also includes amendments pursuant to the sanction of Bill 49 entitled: “An Act to amend the Act respecting elections and referendums in municipalities, the Municipal Ethics and Good Conduct Act and various provisions”.
The by-law can be summarized as follows:
- Establish that respect and civility are amongst the values of the City and that each council member should act accordingly;
- Widening the notion of respect by prohibiting psychological harassment and enforcing civility in the workforce;
- The addition of provisions concerning the protection of confidential information;
- The addition of provisions concerning non-pecuniary conflict of interests for Elected Officials;
- The addition of more sanctions such as fines, penalties, suspension and participation in a professional development program for the violation of the Code of Ethics and Good Conduct for elected municipal officers;
- The obligation for all Council members to participate in a professional development program within 6 months following the beginning of their respective term;
- The addition of a prohibition of using retaliatory measures subsequent to the application of the Code of Ethics and good conduct for elected municipal officers; and
- That no member shall engage in any conduct that is derogatory to the honour and dignity of the elected office.
By-law 2579 is available for consultation at the City Hall, located at 5801 Cavendish Boulevard, during regular office hours, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m or by submitting a request by email to the undersigned.
This by-law comes into force according to law.
Given at the City of Côte Saint-Luc, on this 23rd day of February 2022.
Me Jason Prévost
Assistant City Clerk
For further information, please contact me at 514-485-6800 or at [email protected].